Here we go headlong into the Christmas season and with it goes our ability to “accept the things we cannot change and the wisdom to know” when to quit! In a word, we freak! Just listening to some of friend’s Walmart Black Friday stories this past weekend made me lose my “serenity!”
And in honor of Cyber Monday, there’s one gift that you need to give yourself—the ability to know if you have enough margin in your life, and if you don’t, how to get it. So, here are some questions to determine if you’ve built enough margin into your life:
- Are you chronically late?
- Do you feel that you don’t have the time to take a break each day?
- Do you regularly miss making the priorities in your life a priority on your schedule?
- Do you feel stressed or drained nearly every day and then, even though you’re exhausted, have difficulty sleeping at night?
- Do you usually feel angry or extremely anxious whenever you have to wait in line, be on hold, or sit in traffic?
- Do you regularly feel taken for granted and unappreciated for all you do?
If you answered yes to two or more, then you need to “check out” the margin section of your life. How do you build margin in your life? Well, that’s a subject for my next post. But until then, simply meditate on this encouraging passage:
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:4-8 (NIV)
Don’t you already feel better?